I've been 'off plan' quite a bit lately but before I beat myself up about the lack of running miles I've been putting in I thought I'd look back over this year so far and remember that I still have a lot to be proud of. My 2011 goals were to:
1. Run over 350 miles
2. Do at least 6 fitness events
3. Complete a 15K or a Sprint Triathlon
4. Finish a 5K race in under 30 mins
1. I have ran over 240 miles so far this year! Although I'm really happy with that and very proud of myself, the vast majority of these were in Q1 and I have been struggling to put in miles over the last couple of months. When I look at last year I can see that exactly the same thing happened - I suffered injuries at exactly the same time and stopped 'feeling the running love' as soon as it got hot. I have felt really fed up with my lack of miles lately but when I compare my mileage with this time last year I am actually doing much better. I am also biking much more and swimming more too! I think the reason I'm finding running so hard right now if I'm brutally honest is because I'm just not doing it regularly enough. I need to be out there at least 3 times a week, every week. Consinstency and regularity have been lacking. No excuses - I need to 'just do it' (going shorter if neccessary) and commit to the notion that pace, distance and pleasure (or at least less pain!) will come.
2. I've done 7 organized events this year! That's fantastic but I am capable of so much more! My new goal is to do 12 events - one for each month. I can do it!
3. I have done a 15K and a Sprint Tri!!! Again - fantastic but I am capable of more!
4. I PR'ed in January and came in well under 29 mins! That said, right now I would be thrilled to run a 5K in under 31 mins:(. I mustn't beat myself up about pace right now and I need to focus on continually showing improvement. The heat is a challenge and I haven't been doing interval work so of course my times are slower. I'm going to worry about pace later. For now it's all about regularity.
I have achieved a lot this year - I've been able to run faster and so much further - now I'm just going to have to run more regularly :). I can do this too. I once saw a lady in a waiting room and we got to chatting about running. I asked her how often she ran. She said "not often enough to get any better at it!" It really stuck with me - and I know from experience that I have to run at least 3 times a week before I see much progress. So...my new goal is to run at least 2 miles, 3 times a week for four consecutive weeks. It sounds so easy, right? Makes me wonder why that's one goal I have not been able to achieve so far this year! Will I get more comfortable? Faster? Go further? Let's see...