Monday, September 6, 2010

Puzzle Run for Autism 5K

While we were in Orlando for Labor Day weekend, we decided at last minute to go to Oakland for their annual Puzzle Run 5K for autism. It was our first off-road experience through a variety of terrains including sandy roads, orange groves and some gravel trails through a really pretty park and neighborhood.

It was still dark when we arrived and I was really proud that we had managed to motivate ourselves to get out of our gorgeous, comfy Hilton bed!


After he crossed the line, Mike still had time to go back to the car and grab the camera to catch me coming in. Oh well, on the upside I guess I'm getting a longer workout than he is...;) 


Mike said the Vibrams weren't ideal for some of the rocky areas but he enjoyed the 'barefoot' experience overall. There was only one other Vibram runner there and loads of people came to ask him about making the switch.


I didn't feel like a complete dork in my compression sleeves - there were about 20 people wearing them!


I love this picture of us - you can't beat the feeling when it's over!


There were about 400 runners overall, Mike finished 2nd out of his age group (25:21) and I was 8th in mine (31:57) which we were both really happy with. Here's Mike getting his award...


During the speeches they told us that 1 in 100 children are affected by autism and 1 in 58 boys and there is no cure. Great cause, pretty race route, and really nice people - what a great start to Labor Day weekend and 5K season!

1 comment: