Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Another she-ro...:)

Wow, another of my friends completed their first half marathon! Here's Loren North's inspirational story!...

What inspired you to do a Half Marathon? My friend has talked me into doing the full marathon with her held in Las Vegas every December, so I figured I would try out a 1/2 first to see if I could make it.
What Training Plan did you choose? There was one available for the half marathon that I was completing so I used their plan which in retrospect was pretty aggressive, but I made it.
What kept you motivated? I am used to working out every day so I knew I had to complete my runs to get my workouts in.
What obstacles/hurdles did you encounter during training? I was overwhelmed by anything more than 5 miles in the beginning. Once you break 5 miles, you can see yourself running 8 then 10 etc. Also, I got sick within 2 weeks of the race and missed about 4 or 5 days of training which I was really worried about but in the end I don't think it mattered.
How was the race itself? The race was actually harder than I thought it would be because it was predominantly uphill. However, I kept at it and because it was in a beautiful part of North Scottsdale, I tried to take the time to look around me and take in the surroundings and sunrise.
How do you feel now? I feel great, my calves are sore but that's it.
What is the single best piece of advice you can give? It helps to have friends who are runners or have been through a marathon/half-marathon before, because sometimes I felt like I had no idea what I was doing, but having people to talk to helps. Also, you can always walk if you have to during the race! That was a constant reminder from one of my friends. Also- FYI- the books I am using to train for the marathon are: Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham and The Non-Runners Marathon Trainer (has a training plan included) by Whitsett et al.


CONGRATULATIONS LOREN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment