Saturday, May 8, 2010

Barefoot Running Experiment...

Mike read "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall about the Tamahumara tribespeople who can run literally hundreds of miles at a time. One of the key differences between them and the rest of us is the fact that they run barefoot. We thought we try it out at LA fitness on the treadmills first:) and heading off this morning...
First of all, the treadmill is hot (Mike thought at first that it was his feet that were generating a lot of heat:)). Not too hot though and both of use started out really well. It felt natural and easy - just warm that's all. My foot strike adjusted right away and I naturally didn't land on my heels at all. I took it really steady and ran about 1.3 miles in about 14 minutes. I even had a little runner's high kick in and the time flew by. We both stopped, however at the same time for the same reason - blisters. Loads of them and some big ones. (I didn't realize just how many until I could properly assess the damage later). So we put sneakers on and got back on the treadmills planning to do another couple of miles. I had to stop after 1.6 more miles when I felt two blisters burst at exactly the same time - one on each foot! It happened right in the middle of another little runners high so I was dissappointed but it was a great experiment and I was pleased at how well it went for the first time. I will definately try it again and next time I will end a run barefoot instead of starting out that way. Mike is going to invest in a pair of the oh-so-glamorous 'foot gloves.' I may even try that myself, it's not like I'm single or my husband cares...:)
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/
I also tried to lean forward more today to move my center of gravity ahead of where my feet land which I read on a blog about "Chi Running." This was very successful immediately (although I kept forgetting to do it:)) since gravity helps you propel forward. I tried this towards the end of the run and actually had to increase the speed to stop the feeling of 'falling.' Anyway, I feel good and ready for the Moffit 5K at the weekend and no shin splints at all (I've just got to get these blisters to heal now!)

My feet...

Mike's feet (obviously)...his verdict..."I felt like a monkey boy - and I like monkeys"

At least the tops look OK:)...

1 comment:

  1. Blisters and heat are easy to overcome. It's the fitness club rules that become the REAL challenge!
    http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323826704578356632609610700

    ReplyDelete