Saturday, April 16, 2011

My first 15K!

I completed my very first 15K today at the gorgeous JB Starkey Wilderness Park in New Port Richey (JB Starkey Park website) at the Earth Day Relay For Life which benefits the American Cancer Society.  We dedicated this race to Mike's Dad who tragically loss his battle with cancer in 2005.


To prepare for this race, I have been doing my long runs at the same time each week (and the same time that the race was scheduled to start) to get better used to the Florida temperatures. Whenever I see that blood stain on my running shoe I remember how hard I've trained - gross I know but I'm so proud of that stain...


I felt ready but very nervous the night before and couldn't sleep until about 2 a.m. We got ready and hit the road at 6 a.m.


It was a really small and informal race which did wonders to calm me down :).


Great T-Shirts too!


I started out feeling prepared and strong :)


The race itself was really pretty with lots of wildlife to enjoy, but really hot! At the turnaround point they had left a cooler so I loaded up my sports bra with ice which really helped for the next mile or so! I had added some new tunes to my ipod and we chatted with some of the other runners on the course which was also a great distraction. I didn't really struggle too much until about mile 8 to be honest and at that point only a mad person stops running, right? I finished my 9.3 miles at 1:45:27 which I was totally thrilled with!


I love my new race bling and may wear it for the rest of my life...


I never thought I was capable of running a 15K and I may not have been if Mike hadn't been right by my side not only for today's race but for all of the long training runs (thank you Mike - you have no idea how much I love you...) And today...I really felt like PopPop was with us too...we miss you and we love you...

2 comments:

  1. I am surprised I didnt see you today, Nathan and I rode a little bit through Starkey Park to get in the rest of our 40 miles.

    Great job on the run. I find our bodies will do more than I mind would ever allow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny that you were there too! Great job on the 40 miles James!

    ReplyDelete